In Jesus the Magician Morton Smith suggests that magical influence may account for the preservation of a prayer remembered as that of Jesus. Indeed the magical texts of the time are full of spells and prayers attributed to famous authors, in the Greek Magical Papyri we find such spells as “Solomon’s prayer to enchant a medium” (PGM IV.850), “The Prayer of Jacob (to become an incarnate angel)” (PGM XXIIb); a trend that continued well into the modern era with various grimoires attributed to such authors such as Solomon, Moses, even Pope Honorius. The prayer I am referencing of course, is the Lord’s Prayer also known as the Pater Noster. It is found, with slightly different wording, in both the Gospel of Matthew ( Chapter 6, verses 9–13) and the Gospel of Luke (Chapter 11, verses 2–4).
Opening with “Our Father, who art in Heaven”, the reference to a god as “father” whose location is in the heavens is quite familiar in the magical literature of the time.
“Hallowed be Thy name” (Glorified in Luke); hallowing or glorifying means making the god’s name famous, demonstrating its power by miracles, obedience etc, so that outsiders will know it and revere it. For example in the Gospel of John, we find what is known as the Farewell Prayer or High Priestly Prayer; some relevant sections include:
Father, the hour is come, glorify thy Son, that thy Son may glorify thee. (John 17:1)
I have glorified thee on the earth; I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do. (John 17:4)
I have manifested thy name to the men whom thou hast given me out of the world. (John 17:6)
Holy Father, keep them in thy name whom thou has given me (John 17:11)
While I was with them, I kept them in thy name. (John 17:12)
And the glory which thou hast given me, I have given to them; that they may be one, as we also are one (John 17:22)
And I have made known thy name to them, and will make it known; that the love wherewith thou hast loved me, may be in them, and I in them. (John 17:26)
This is closely echoed in many passages of the magical papyri which represent the magician as one who glorifies their god and reveals to their followers the god’s great name. “Glorify me as I have glorified the name of your son Horus!” (PGM VII.504), “Tat, Tat, Tat… come… and reveal thyself to this boy today… for I will glorify thee in heaven before Phree, I will glorify thee before the Moon, I will glorify thee on Earth.” (PGM XXXVI.165f), “I am he whom you met under the holy mountain and to whom you gave knowledge of your greatest Name, which I shall keep holy, communicating it with none save to your initiates in your holy rites.” (PGM XII.92ff) This last quotation shows that while the magical texts generally agree with John in “glorifying” rather than “hallowing” the God and its Name, they are not unconcerned with its holiness.
“Thy will be done” is a prayer used by magicians (PGM XII.189), with “on earth as it is in heaven” expressing the most general objective of a spell: to change the natural order by influence of the supernatural, in this case, as it is often, by the god’s will.
With this mind how might we utilize this prayer in our own magical practice? My friend Muertero Yamil swears by it as the best prayer for manifestation. Of the prayer, Muererto Yamil says, “If you really take your time to really know it…it shall reveal its secrets. I will share how it was taught to me:”
- OUR FATHER: Means our higher self or the Inner God within)
- WHO ART IN HEAVEN: Who is in the higher part of my consciousness or the Holy Sacred space in my mind.
- HALLOWED BE THY NAME: To say Hallowed is to say Holy…Here we are tapping into our higher self. The reason for our existence. To feel blessed and manifest, you must know you are blessed and feel deserving of such blessings. You are lifting your higher self to a high degree, meaning you are a sacred being.
- THY KINGDOM COME: Meaning the Kingdom is that what we want to manifest. It’s knowing that we have a vault of blessings awaiting for us and we are bringing into existence.
- THY WILL SHALL BE DONE : Is affirming that what we want is already here. The higher self or the God self has already manifested that which is wanted. We are talking to ourselves.
- ON EARTH AS IT IS IN HEAVEN:
As Above So Below. That what we want has already been thought and felt. The key for manifestation starts in a thought…we must feel this thought and feel it to the point that it feels real. When we know that what what we want is already here with full confidence and no doubt.
- GIVE US THIS DAY OUR DAILY BREAD: Daily bread can mean many things. In the Latino Culture we say El Pan De Cada Dia. Meaning that which sustains us.
- FORGIVE OUR TRASPASSES AS WE FORGIVE THOSE WHO TRASPASSED AGAINST US: This is very important because at times those things we do which may hurt others knowingly and unknowingly can infringe in us receiving blessings. If we are caught in bitterness, backbiting and always fighting with others because we feel hurt….we don’t learn how to let things go. We are stuck in a cycle that does not allow us to evolve. By knowing that we to hurt others and we learn not only to forgive others but also learn how to forgive ourselves we begin to unclog pipes of blessings and the flud gates of blessings begin to shower in our lives.
I don’t ever say “Lead us not into temptation…” I say: DON’T ALLOW US TO FALL INTO TEMPTATION. This is the way it is said in the Spanish version and it is the way I also say it in English. The higher self will not allow us to fall into temptation or guide us in those things that will not allow to evolve.
- AND DELIVER US FROM EVIL: Deliver us not from the Devil, Satan or any Being that Religion sees as an opposer. But from our own Habits, Doubts, Fear, and Insecurities. Those things that are not constructive for our manifestation and development.
- AMEN: So More It Be or It Is Done.
When saying this we are visioning what we want and manifestation is taking place and it is done. It is the best guide to practice with. Focus on that what we want. To me the Our Father is the best Mantra one can use and when one really taps into its virtues the sky is the limit.
You can find Muertero Yamil at https://www.muerteroyamil.com/